Where The Patio Cover Attaches To The Roof
More detail about joining the patio cover to the existing roof.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the authors knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
Free Standing Patio Cover
If youre looking for a free-standing steel carport, they also come in affordable DIY kits. Not only are they maintenance free but they provide years of worry-free use. The aluminum carports can come in W pan or flat pan DIY systems. This is a great way to get the exact carport you want while staying on budget by avoiding contractor costs. My favorite supplier of free-standing X is: screen-house.com
Installing A Patio Cover: Comfort And A Place To Relax
Your home is the central point in your life and most homeowners are continually looking for ways to improve it. Installing a patio cover creates a safe place to enjoy the sun without the risk of harmful UV rays and heat-related illness, and also provides a natural gathering place for you and your family and friends. A patio cover installation will simply allow you to enjoy your home more!
Choosing the right patio cover is a key consideration. Your patio cover should not only add to your space, but it should enhance it as well. So which type should you get? Learn more about patio covers near me today with Royal Covers.
Mounting Ceiling Fan To An Insulated Aluminum Roof Panel With Fan Beam
- on Apr 07, 2017Hello.Im doing some ceiling repair work, will also want to replace a light fixture as well.Photo of the wire box with the old light. I havent removed the old light yet.http://i.imgur.com/I7ikYFY.jpgIt appears that my ceiling wire box only have a black hot wire and a neutral white wire. There is no copper ground wire. The new flush ceiling light I bought do have a copper ground wire, which Im suppose to screw into the mounting bracket together with the wire boxs ground copper wire.I understand that some older houses , may not have a copper ground wire, or the metal box its self is already grounded. Im not looking to check if the box is grounded or run a new ground wire, I just want to replace the ceiling light fixture.My question is, what should I do with the copper ground wire from new light? 1. Should I just screw the copper ground wire into the mounting bracket anyways as per instruction? even though there is no copper wire from the wire box.2. Only connect and cap the white and black wire? Maybe cut the copper ground wire so it doesnt get in the way?Thanks.
Led Drawingled Drawingtips For Installing Led Lights
1. Pick Your Location Stop roof pan installation at the LED Light location. Drill the 4 to 6? hole in the pan as required by your size of light.
2. Wiring Drill a hole that fits your conduit in the hanger at the house. Pull wire through the hanger, leave 12 hanging out the LED Light hole for wiring the light later. Leave enough wire at the house to reach your service connection. We usually use outdoor rolmex or direct burial wire.*** as with all electrical work, we recommend you consult a licensed electrician.
Be careful to protect the wiring and do not touch the wiring with any screws. Your wiring should also be protected where it goes through the holes, we use rubber grommets to cover any sharp edges in the aluminum.
3. Install Fan Beam Cap Install the next roof pan. Place fan beam cap over the pan that contains the wiring, slide the fan beam cap under the flashing at the house. Screw the cap down to pans at the interlock. This will keep all water out of the roof pan that contains the wiring
4. Attaching the Light Be careful not to damage the wires inside the roof. Consult the instructions that come with your light to complete the installation.
***improper installation can cause injury or death, consult a licensed electrician***
Also Check: How To Make A Paver Patio On A Slope
Why Alumawood Patio Covers Are The Best
Alumawood covers are unique because the aluminum material is actually embossed to have the same grain pattern as wood. Also, the aluminum construction is 30% thicker than traditional covers. With Alumawood, you have several color options to choose from and can even customize the look to your specific design specifications. The color and design options not only mean that your DIY aluminum patio cover will look amazing but you also dont have the chore of painting or staining as you would a wood cover or pergola.
The lifespan of Alumawood far exceeds wood products so you wont need to repair your patio cover nearly as often. This will save you time, money, and energy as you have a patio cover that you can focus on enjoying instead of maintaining.
Is Alumawood Cheaper Than Wood?
The price of Alumawood varies depending on your retailer but it will be roughly the same price as wood and even less as the price of lumber has gone up in 2021. Also, is a product that you dont have to paint and will last decades longer than wood so be sure to keep the long-term cost in mind.
A Few Other Things To Consider
Depending on your location, local regulations such as fire zones may prohibit you from installing certain patio covers. In addition, should permits be necessary and depending on the materials you choose, there may be limitations on your part, if drawings, engineering and such are required. Unless of course, you are an engineer or architect.
Recommended Reading: Deck On Top Of Concrete Patio
Patio Cover Installation Instructions W Pan And Flat Pan
Important Note:It would be impossible for us to have different installation instructions for every application. We have put together these assembly instructions together showing a typical, straight foward install. This will work for most settings however, if you encouter difficulties or need clarification concerning installation, please call us 1 888 814-7531 Do you offer installation services?We do not offer installation services but do provide installation instructions for most kits that we sell. We have sold and installed most of our kits for over 20 years in the San Antonio area and are here to assist you if you run into any problems. We offer free phone assistance from people who have actually installed the product.
Roof Panels : W-Panel or Flat Panel depending on type of cover ordered. Outside Corner: attaches gutter fascia at cornersInside Corner: attaches gutter fascia in areas such as fireplaces or around corners. Gutter Fascia: outside framework and gutter system of cover. Support Beams: Attaches to post, supports roof panels. Posts: Supports and anchors cover to ground.
Factory Direct To You
We ship directly from our factory to your home, we sell patio covers in many designs and can accommodate almost any design criteria you present to us, so call or email with your ideas, you can get some great ideas from our Photo Gallery. We will be glad to help you with your own design to meet your needs and desired function.
Don’t Miss: How To Build A Patio Storage Box
What Material Is Best For A Patio Cover
Remember that when replacing an existing patio structure, you dont have to use the same material. The standard industry materials for patio covers are real wood, vinyl, or aluminum. Here are the pros and cons of each:
Wood Do It Yourself Patio Covers
Wood patio covers are often more attractive and open you up to lots of design options and stain colors. Unlike standard aluminum, which can dent easily, wood is much more durable and is less likely to dent.
But because wood is an organic material, you will have more regular maintenance since wood is subject to deterioration from the sun, water, and pests. Also, there are always natural imperfections in wood that a stain may actually accentuate. In addition, wood is a lot heavier which limits you when it comes to deck covers since decks can only handle so much weight. Wood also needs to be painted or stained to provide a protective finish against the elements.
Vinyl Patio Cover Kits
Vinyl patio cover systems require little maintenance as they will not rot or peel. Vinyl is sturdier than wood but not as strong as aluminum. The big downside to covering a patio in vinyl is that it doesnt have the most attractive look. Vinyl usually cant be painted, which is a huge downside as its subject to fading and discoloration because of the suns UV rays.
Standard Aluminum Patio Cover Kits
Renovated Faith: Whats in a Name?
For Returns Or Issues With Delivery Click Here
HOW TALL ARE THE POSTS?
- WE SEND 10FT LONG POSTS WITH OUR KITS TO BE CUT DOWN TO YOUR NEEDED HEIGHT
HOW DOES IT GET ATTACHED/MOUNTED TO MY HOUSE?
- YOU CAN MOUNT TO YOUR HOUSE WALL OR TO THE FASCIA BOARD ON YOUR EAVE/OVERHANG
- IF MOUNTING TO HOUSE WALL, THE LONG SCREWS MUST FASTEN INTO THE WALL STUDS
- IF MOUNTING TO THE FASCIA BOARD THE LONG SCREWS MUST FASTEN THROUGH TO THE ROOF TRUSS ENDS OR RAFTER TAIL ENDS
CAN IT BE SCREENED IN?
- YES, IT CAN BE SCREENED IN
HOW DO THE POSTS GET MOUNTED?
- POSTS ARE ANCHORED TO THE CONCRETE SLAB USING THE HEAVY-DUTY BOTTOM POST BRACKETS AND THE CONRETE WEDGE ANCHORS PROVIDED IN THE KIT
- IF MOUTNING TO A WOOD DECK, THE DECK SUBFRAMING AT POST LOCATIONS SHOULD BE BEEFED UP AND USE LAG SCREWS TO FASTEN THE HEAVY DUITY BOTTOM POST BRAKCETS THROUGH THE DECK BAORDS INTO THE SUBFRAMING.
CAN INTEGRA INSTALL THIS?
- AT THIS TIME, WE DO NOT OFFER INSTALLATION SERVICES
CAN YOU MAKE CUSTOM SIZES?
- PLEASE CONTACT US ON OUR WEBSITE
- PROVIDE YOUR CITY AND STATE, AND THE DESIGN YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, THEN WE WILL CHECK IF WE CAN DESIGN YOUR REQUEST TO COMPLY WITH ENGINEERING REQUIREMENTS.
WHAT ARE THE MATERIALS MADE OF? WILL IT RUST?
- THE MATERIALS ARE ALUMINUM. THEY WILL NOT/CANNOT RUST
IS THE INTEGRA PATIO COVER INSULATED?
- NO IT IS NOT AN INSULATED ROOF SYSTEM
DOES IT COME WITH A GUTTER?
- YES, THE PATIO COVER HAS A STRUCTURAL ALUMINUM FRONT FASCIA/GUTTER AND SCUPPER DRAINS
PLEASE EXPLAIN THE MEASUREMENTS WIDTH AND DEPTH?
CAN I WALK ON THE ROOF?
- NO, DEFINITELY NOT
Read Also: How To Build A Patio Storage Box
Guide To Patio Cover Kits
If you love spending time in the great outdoors but not necessarily in the hot sun, patio cover kits can give you the coverage and style you need.When it comes to choosing the right kit, its important to make sure that you find one thats easy to install, and that offers you the style and functionality you want for an enjoyable time outside. Read on to learn more about DIY patio cover kits and how to install them so you can get out there and relax worry-free.
Aluminum Patio Cover Installations
Aluminum patio covers are made of aluminum both as the frame and shade panels. A good thing to note about aluminum is that it does not conduct heat, and can even reflect the suns rays. Aluminum patio covers generally have a baked on paint finish and can be embossed with a wood texture. Aluminum patio covers are also generally less expensive and easier to install.
Don’t Miss: Remove Paint From Patio
How Strong Are Aluminum Awnings
Aluminum house awnings are lightweight, reasonably priced, durable, and easy to install. Aluminum awning material can withstand hurricane force winds and remain undamaged. They can last upwards of 25 years if maintained properly. Their light weight makes them a perfect covering to open and close and to remove to clean.
Getting A Building Permit For A Patio Cover
Some people said a building permit was unnecessary, while others said it was impossible to get without a contractor’s license, or that it would raise my property tax, etc. So I called the permit and licensing office and got the correct answers.
- Yes, a permit was required.
- No, it wouldn’t raise my taxes,
- As long as the property owner didn’t care if I wasn’t a licensed contractor, they didn’t either.
Getting the building permit was actually much easier than I thought. I took the plans to the towns permit and licensing office, filled out some paperwork, and the next morning I got a call and went back to the permit office to pick up and pay for the permit, which came to $85. They made a couple of alterations to the plan that not only were easy to accommodate but also made the project easier and cheaper! To prepare for the final inspection, I took pictures of each critical step to show the building inspector, which made the final inspection a snap.
Read Also: How To Make A Paver Patio On A Slope
How To Install An Outdoor Ceiling Fan
Electrical Wiring Method for a Outdoor Ceiling Fan: I am installing an outdoor ceiling fan that is UL rated for wet location on an open patio cover.
Wiring an Outdoor Ceiling FanElectrical Question:I am installing an outdoor ceiling fan that is UL rated for wet location on an open patio cover made of 2×4s.
- I want to run power overhead from a GFI circuit in the adjacent garage.
- The control switch will be inside the garage. I bought an outdoor electrical box which I will screw to a spot where two 2×4s cross to mount the fan.
- What is the best way to run power from the garage to the box?
- Can I use bare outdoor 14-2 wire or should I run the wire in flexible conduit or hard PVC conduit?
This electrical question came from: Rob, a Handyman from Houston, Texas.
Daves Reply:Thanks for your electrical wiring question Rob.
How Much Weight Can An Aluminum Patio Cover Hold
Alumawood patio covers have a 10 lb live load for snow and a 110-mile wind load. However, for the harshest weather conditions, their engineering covers up to a 50 lb snow load and winds of 130 mph. T customize your patio cover to handle even higher loads, see the details on live load ratings and the best designs for certain snow load requirements below.
Recommended Reading: Outdoor Pergola Ceiling Fan
Our 6 Step Guide For Installing A Ceiling Fan
The following is a general guide for installing a ceiling fan.
Its worth noting, that most ceiling fan kits come with the necessary hardware and fasteners. They also come with instructions.
Were fond of our guide. Itll walk you through all the high-level steps. But dont toss the manufacturers instructions to the side. Youll want to read through those, too. It would be a shame to install your new fan the wrong way or hurt yourself in the process.
Where To Buy Aluminum Patio Covers
Here are my favorite retailers of DIY aluminum patio covers. Be sure to check out these options to make sure you find the right cover for you and your budget while finding a supplier that ships to your area. All of the sites below will provide you with a custom quote, a freight rate, and warranty coverage.
Recommended Reading: Restore Cast Aluminum
Item Have Been Added To Cart
Before you begin your project, here are a few tips to keep in mind when hanging a ceiling fan.
- Inspect the existing junction box to make sure its rated for ceiling fans. There should be an inscription on the ceiling fan box to indicate this. The box is usually metal. If not, replace it with a fan-rated junction box and a fan brace between the ceiling joist to help support the fans weight.
- Next, turn off power at the circuit breaker and place any wall switches to the off position.
- After turning off the power, place a piece of electrical tape across the switches at the wall and the breaker box to prevent anyone from coming by and turning the power back on while you are working.
If you have to remove an existing fan or fixture prior to your new ceiling fan installation now is the time to do so. Disconnect any wires and enlist a helper to assist you in taking down the fan or fixture.
- Now, its time to mount the junction box. Insert the fan brace through the hole in the drywall and onto the ceiling. The square tube of the brace should be centered with the hole.
- Rotate the square tube with your hand until the teeth are firmly locked into the joist. Feel around to gauge your results.
- Attach the U-bolt bracket to the fan brace. It should be centered in the hole with the bolts facing downward.
- Thread the cable wire into the junction box. Slip the box up so that the bolts slide through it and tighten the nuts to secure the box into place.
The Benefits Of Aluminum Awnings For The Patio
Posted on Friday, August 24th, 2012 at 8:31 pm.
Aluminum Awnings are essential to home design and protection. These quality awnings will not only protect your home from direct sunlight but also it offers great style and functionality benefits as well.
Unlike standard awnings, aluminum patio awnings are made of insulated aluminum material. Here are some benefits of aluminum patio awnings:
Aluminum Awnings have insulated layers. This is beneficial to your home because insulated layers absorb heat to help you stay cool underneath the awning.
Aluminum Awnings are very durable. These awnings do not tear when strong winds hit them. Instead, they stay in place because of their aluminum sheets are screwed on beams and braces no matter what the weather has in store.
Aluminum awnings are low maintenance. When it rains, water droplets remain on fabric awnings but with aluminum awnings the rain will easily drain off it and make cleaning your awnings an easy task.
Aluminum act like extension of your roof. This is a detachable awning. It can be installed with a variety of attachments and accessories to help with the functionality of your roof. You can even install ceiling fans or skylights with this awning for additional comfort and temperature regulation.
Let Carroll Awning Company design and install unique, functional and stylish Aluminum Awnings for your home today. Check out samples of our Aluminum Awnings.
Also Check: Removing Sliding Glass Doors