Cover With Breathable Material
Lastly, find a perfect cover for your furniture. Look for one with a breathable material to prevent moisture from forming underneath it. Moisture can cause your furniture to rust, break, or build up mold and mildew.
There are different types of furniture cover that you can buy online. You can also have them custom-made if your furniture does not fit the standard sizing of covers. Just make sure they are made out of materials that keep them dry, and away from moisture.
I decided to list the 10 best winter covers for outdoor furniture, click here to see the list!
The 3 Best Ways To Store Patio Cushions
If stored not correctly during the off-season, patio cushions accumulate mold, mildew, or musty, which will discolor them overtimes. And in the worst scenario, your fav cushion gets infested with pests. But you can avoid these annoying issues and costly purchases.
For this, you will need to follow these storage stages-
Assuming that you are a starter, we will be discussing the three steps with details. Lastly, we will also leave some good suggestions for you.
What Do You Do With Outdoor Cushions In The Winter
Store cushions in plastic bins to seal out moisture.
. Also to know is, how do you store outdoor cushions for the winter?
In summary:Patio cushions should be cleaned before they are put in storage. Once dry, wrap the cushions in a fabric bag or put them in an airtight container. Keep the cushions off the ground and in a dry environment that doesn’t get too hot or too cold.
Furthermore, where should outdoor cushions be stored? Make sure the fabric and fillings are completely dry before storing them inside a clear plastic box or a fabric cushion storage bag. Cushions will last longer if you store them in a clean and dry place, like a basement, attic or garage. Storing them outdoors can attract bugs or mold.
Subsequently, one may also ask, can outdoor cushions stay outside in winter?
Cushions. Many of the models of outdoor furniture use removable cushions. When not in use in the winter they should be stored indoors, in a shed, or a heavy-duty cushion storage box. The fabric can be easily damage by the freezing and thawing that occurs during the cold weather.
What do you do with outdoor furniture in the winter?
Also Check: How To Clean Plastic Furniture
How To Store Patio Furniture In The Winter
Small-scale furniture that can collapse or stack is the easiest to store. Remove the cushions and store them in a plastic bin or bag with a tight closure so rodents cannot access them. Furniture covers will help protect outdoor furniture from the elements when outside as well as dust when stored indoors. You can purchase pre-fitted covers or use plastic tarps secured with bungee cords to help repel moisture, debris and dust.
How To Store And Protect Sunbrella Cushions For The Winter
Cushions provide a patio set with that extra protection, comfort and support in the warm months when everyone gathers around the pool or grill for relaxing fun.
But once Old Man Winter approaches, its time to think about storage for those cushions. To keep them looking and functional great, its necessary to remove and put away all Sunbrella cushions for the winter months to preserve their vibrant colour and quality.
First, a good cleaning is in order before storing. Keeping Sunbrella fabrics like new is easy when employing a thorough cleaning and storage routine each year. People with these fabrics on their patio furniture can provide light maintenance throughout the season by cleaning spills when they happen and removing dirt on a regular basis. Its also a good idea to take them off and bring them inside when rain is forecast to avoid the cushions getting wet and mildewy over time. However, when it comes to winter, though, its necessary to bring them in for the long haul.
Recommended Reading: How Many Bags Of Concrete Do I Need For A 10×10 Slab
Outdoor Cushion Storage Tips:
- Keep the cushions off the ground. No matter where you store cushions, make sure you keep them at least six inches off the ground. The ground of a basement or garage holds moisture, and that moisture can transfer to your cushions. Also, pests are more likely to get into your cushions if they are on the ground. Use a pallet, table, or shelf to lift the cushions.
- Choose a dry, cool environment.;Do whatever you can to maintain a consistent temperature and humidity. This could mean keeping the cushion inside an interior closet or renting a climate-controlled storage unit. If you must keep your cushion inside a shed, store the cushion inside a breathable deck box.
- If possible, keep cushions out of direct sunlight. We never recommend storing cushions outside, but if you must, keep them under some type of shelter. Also, keep the cushions away from the windows. The UV light can cause the fabric to fade and become compromised.
How To Keep Outdoor Cushions Rodentfree
- on Feb 12, 2018TY! Are squirrels and chipmunks considered rodents? Do you think the peppermint oil will work against them?
I invented a material that, though looking like ordinary cotton, is VERY strong and easily prevents squirrels from chewing through it. It can’t be sewn through but it can be “welded” together and easily made to copy and/or create ANY design and color .
It’s waterproof but will allow water, in the form of a gas , to come through thus preventing uncomfortable sweat build-up.
It’s one a many inventions of mine and was inspired by the same problem described in this conversation. But, because I refuse to patent any of them , it isn’t being manufactured and is probably not worth purchasing by an individual as the cost is prohibitive.
I use it myself and of course there’s no squirrel issue, as there was previous to using this material. I’ve laughed while seeing them attempt to chew through it.
You May Like: How To Get Dog Hair Off Patio Cushions
Can Outdoor Cushions Stay Out In The Winter
Its best to store your outdoor cushions during the winter so theyre not exposed to snow and freezing temperatures. Weve never seen coats or scarves for patio cushions, so if you plan to continue using them during the winter, or cant store them in a temperature-controlled environment, they should at least be covered. Keep them under a porch, tarp, or even hide them under the table.;
If you store them under the table, make sure theyre still at least six inches off the ground and dont get wet. When using a tarp, tie down the sides so it doesnt blow away and leave space around the edges for air to circulate.
If you live in a climate thats humid or gets regular snow during the winter, your best bet is to store your outdoor cushions for a few months using the storage ideas below.
Types Of Patio Furniture To Store During The Winter
Now that we know what patio furniture types can be left outside in the winter lets go to the other side: what you cant leave outside.
Note, though, that there are some materials above that you can only leave outside if it is treated. Otherwise, you should be careful of those that are made of wood, steel, and teak.
Recommended Reading: How To Keep Chipmunks Off Patio Furniture
How To Store Patio Furniture For Winter
After spending many summer nights lounging around on your patio furniture, enjoying those long summer nights and hanging out with close friends and family, it might be difficult to think about storing the furniture when the temperatures get cooler. But taking the extra time to properly store your patio items for the winter can help them last for many years to come.
Clean It Before You Put It Away
Make sure you clean your wicker furniture before storing it away for the winter. You can follow these instructions to learn how to clean wicker furniture the right way. This will help preserve the finish and remove any dust or debris that may have settled. This will also keep bugs, spiders, and bees out of your patio furniture so that it looks brand new when Spring and Summer roll around next year.
Additionally, its important to remove any cushions from your wicker furniture. Its common to put decorative throw pillows on the cushions, remove those as well. Removing these from the furniture gives you an awesome opportunity to clean them. We have a great blog post about properly cleaning cushions here! Clean patio cushions can really refresh your patio when summer rolls back around.
Recommended Reading: How To Install Ceiling Fan On Insulated Aluminum Patio
What Type Of Outdoor Furniture Is The Most Durable
Your outdoor furniture will have to stand up to the sun’s strong rays in the summer, and elements like rain and snow in the winter. Choose a durable material to ensure your furniture can endure the wear and tear. If you want wood furniture, teak, eucalyptus, or cedar is a great choice that can face any weather. Popular and durable synthetic fabrics include plastic and synthetic resin wicker. Aluminum and steel are other common outdoor furniture materials that are lightweight and won’t mold or deteriorate over time.
What You Can Leave Out:
- Composite furniture
- Outdoor pieces made from composite materials, including Trex® Outdoor Furniture, are fine outside year-round.
- Aluminum furniture
- Just make sure the pieces are free of any water, inside or out.
Even though certain patio pieces can stay on the patio year-round, in order to extend their life, if you have space and arent going to be hanging out outdoors, consider storing furniture elsewhere.
Make Sure The Wind Doesnt Toss Them Around
The weather can get pretty violent and high winds can leave your patio furniture scattered across your entire yard. Talk about a backyard renovation! The best way to prevent this from happening is by storing them in a shed or other area where there are protected. Alternatively, Ive found 7 other ways to keep patio furniture from blowing away in the winter.
How To Clean And Waterproof Fabric Cushions:
- Remove the cushions from the base and use a broom to sweep off;any leaves, dirt, and debris.
- Check the tag for manufacturer cleaning instructions and follow them.
- Toss removable cushion covers in the washing machine and allow them to air dry.
- If the covers cant be removed, scrub the exterior fabric with a soft cleaning brush using a mild detergent.
- Take extra care removing any stains or signs of mold or mildew by spraying on some white vinegar or a mixture of bleach and water. Be sure to test a small patch of fabric first.
- Rinse the suds thoroughly with the hose and air dry the cushion on a hot, sunny day. Drying the fabric in the sun will help to disinfect the fabric and remove any odors. Never store a slightly damp patio cushion. Make sure that every section is dry regardless of your cleaning method.
- Waterproof the fabric before storing the cushions. Even if you bought outdoor cushions that have moisture proofing built into the material, you should re-treat them every couple of years. Purchase a waterproofing spray and follow the directions. Be sure to test a spot before treating the entire cushion.
Are Outdoor Cushions Water Resistant
Some furniture sets are made from water-resistant materials, but that doesn’t mean they’re entirely waterproof. Even acrylic isn’t totally invincible to water damage and can suffer cracks, tears, and discoloration if exposed to too much moisture. Even if the manufacturer claims that the cushions are waterproof, we urge you to play it safe with treatments and proper storage.
Clear Away All That Outdoor Grime
Since patio furniture mostly lives outside, chances are it has microorganisms living just about everywhere. Make sure to scrub down every surface before storage.
Before you start cleaning, check the manufacturers care instructions. Theoretically, outdoor furniture should be pretty robust as it needs to stand up to the elements, but you also dont want to accidentally damage something during an effort to prevent it from being damaged.
Read Also: How To Stop A Patio Umbrella From Spinning
Winter Storage For Plastic And Aluminum Furniture
Plastic and aluminum furniture is favored for its durability, but that doesnt make it impervious to damage from winter weather. When considering how to store patio furniture over the winter, start by removing fabric cushions, clean well with soapy water and dry thoroughly. You can also use a coat of protective wax to shield furniture from moisture. Plastic furniture may crack in freezing temperatures, while metal furniture can rust easily, especially where the finish is worn. The best way to store patio furniture is under a protective cover if it remains outside over winter. Indoor, climate controlled storage is the best option to protect your furniture from fluctuations in temperature and moisture.
Maintain Metal And Aluminum Pieces
When it comes to metal or aluminum patio furniture, its important to bring these pieces in during winter. They can rust thanks to the snow and freezing rain, and the rust can weaken the material. Use water and detergent to clean the surface, and take a brush and hose to wash and rinse. Touch-up the finish with spray paint if needed and apply a thin coat of car wax for extra protection.
Recommended Reading: How To Install A Pergola On A Paver Patio
What You Need To Bring In:
- Umbrellas, upholstery, and outdoor rugs
- While cushions covered in all-weather performance fabric and polypropylene rugs are weatherproof, storing them elsewhere cuts down on maintenance and reduces fading.
- Stone tabletops
- Any moisture that makes its way into a porous surface can crack a tabletop in the winter.
- Steel and wrought-iron furniture
- Its prone to rust, so its best to store out of the elements if at all feasible.
- Wicker sofas
- Cold air can compromise low-quality plastic. Consider storing inside to reduce brittleness.
For more specific guidelines on your patio pieces, check with your furniture manufacturer.
How To Keep Your Outdoor Cushion Storage Clean And New
To keep your outdoor cushion storage clean and new for a very long time, do the following:
- Check for any damage get them fixed immediately before they get worse. For instance, a broken hinge should be repaired or replaced with a functioning one.
- Wash and clean outdoor cushion storage every season, with the right soap, soft brush, and neat towel.
- Dry it naturally in an open area/place.
- Consider laminating it using a top coatCheck Latest Price if it doesnt have one.
- If necessary, touch up using some paintCheck Latest Price .
Recommended Reading: How To Restore Cast Aluminum Patio Furniture
How To Store Patio Cushions
Do you need help storing outdoor cushions? This guide will teach you how to store patio cushions so they dont get moldy.
Outdoor cushions are constructed to withstand some wear and tear. Most of the time, the fabric, stitching, and fillers are more durable than indoor cushions. However, patio furniture can become moldy, musty, and full of mildew if it isnt appropriately stored in the offseason. Or worse yet, the cushion could become pest infested. Rats and spiders can make a home inside your cushion, or moths could eat holes in the fabric.
Learn how to store patio cushions the right way and find an appropriate storage location that is dry and rodent-free. This guide will show you how to store patio cushions, so they stay looking and smelling like new.
For starters, we will discuss the three facets of storing outdoor cushions: cleaning, wrapping, and storing. Each step will ensure that your cushions are waterproof, bugproof, and smell proof. Then we will explore some smart storage ideas that will work even if youre limited on space.
How Do You Prepare Outdoor Furniture For Winter
Prepare outdoor furniture for winter by giving it a good cleaning. Use dish soap and water for wicker, iron, or plastic furniture, or a wood furniture cleaner on wood. Once your furniture is clean, choose a protective cover that properly fits your furniture piece. Finally, you’ll need to find the right outdoor furniture storage space. Some furniture can be stored outdoors during the winter, while other furniture will do best stored in a garage or shed.
Also Check: How To Replace Fabric On Patio Chairs