How To Store And Organize Patio Furniture For The Winter
Even if all your patio furniture is advertised as weather-resistant, it will last longer and serve you better if you store and organize it for the winter. That means you must get it out of the elements and store it somewhere dry. It doesnt necessarily need to be warm, but needs to be out of the wind and snow. Need more storage space? Check out these commonly overlooked storage spaces.
Use Covers Or Storage Bags
If you donât have any open indoor space around the house in which to store your outdoor furniture, there are a couple of other options to explore. Perhaps you have some room under a deck or a porch, where at least your furniture wonât suffer the direct wrath of rain, snow, and sleet, even though it will be subject to freezing temperatures.
You can also find a variety of waterproof outdoor furniture;covers and bags meant to protect your furniture from the worst of the winter weather. A cover could be as simple as a cheap tarp you get at your local hardware store. All you have to do is drape and fold it around furniture before securing it with bungee cords, zip ties, or rope. Itâs not pretty, but it will generally get the job done.
Or you could spring for storage bags designed to fit standard furniture pieces . You simply finagle the furniture inside and then zip them closed for waterproof protection. These bags might be easier to manage and do a better job than your makeshift tarp method.
Either way, however, youâre going to get a higher level of protection for your outdoor furniture than you would by simply leaving it out in the elements year-round.
If Youre In Need Of A Space To Store Your Patio Furniture Store With Store Here
If you do not have a location to store your outdoor furniture that will keep it safe from the winter elements, consider storing your items at a storage facility. A self storage unit will keep your patio furniture in a dry and covered location without crowding your garage or shed. We have storage units ranging in sizes from 3X4 to 10X40, so whether its a large or small patio set, we have you covered for all your household storage needs. The storage units at all of our storage facilities are well lit and utilize a 24/7 camera monitoring system so you can rest easy knowing you are storing with the best. Contact us or reserve a unit today!
Don’t Miss: Remove Paint From Pavers
Can I Leave My Patio Furniture Outside In The Winter
Yes! Patio furniture is designed to be outdoors. However, fall and winter weather can damage your furniture if you dont take the proper precautions. Always clean and apply protective sealants to your furniture before storing or covering it for winter. While it may take a bit of time now, you wont regret it when it’s springtime. Plus, protecting your outdoor furniture during the winter will save you money. Patio furniture sets are expensive and leaving one unprotected during just one bad snowstorm can cause irreversible damage.
Preparing Outdoor Furniture For Storage
Each different type of patio furniture requires different cleaning and preparation before being placed in storage. Be sure to take the time to clean and retouch all of your outdoor furniture before storing it to make setting it up next summer that much easier. Keep reading and use this guide to get started with your preparations this fall!
You May Like: Vintage Woodard Wrought Iron Furniture
What You Can Leave Out:
- Composite furniture
- Outdoor pieces made from composite materials, including Trex® Outdoor Furniture, are fine outside year-round.
- Aluminum furniture
- Just make sure the pieces are free of any water, inside or out.
Even though certain patio pieces can stay on the patio year-round, in order to extend their life, if you have space and arent going to be hanging out outdoors, consider storing furniture elsewhere.
How Do You Maintain Outdoor Furniture
No matter the season, its important to care and maintain your outdoor furniture. Proper upkeep will prolong the life of your furniture so you can keep it for much longer than if you never gave the furniture a second thought. Here are a few tips for maintaining outdoor furniture:
- Clean furniture once a month, using a dish soap and water mixture or special furniture cleaner.
- Dont let mold or mildew spread. Clean it off as soon as you spot it, using a glove and wet rag.
- Apply stains and sealants to wood furniture every 1-3 years to maintain the vibrant color and shine.
- Let the furniture dry completely in the sun after every cleaning.
- Cover and store furniture when not in use.
Read Also: How To Get Dog Hair Off Patio Cushions
Secure A Dry Location
Finding a dry location to store your patio furniture is crucial. If you happen to have space in your current garage, that would work nicely. Unfortunately, many people dont have a garage. Or, if they do, theres likely not enough room available for additional furniture. If putting your patio furniture in a garage is not an option for you, consider the following ideas that will keep your items dry throughout storage:
- A storage unit. You could rent a storage unit in a facility near your home to store your furniture and other items. This option will keep your belongings dry, but it does come with a significant expense. You may need to pay as much as $100 or more per month to rent a storage unit.
- Under a tarp. Rather than storing your furniture inside, you could gather it up on part of your property and place a tarp over it. A good tarp should keep everything mostly dry, but it wont be the same as a roof. Also, its likely the little critters will make their way under the tarp to stay warm, so you might have quite a mess to clean up in the spring.
- In a detached structure. This option will provide the best results. Whether it is a small shed or a larger detached garage, a building with a roof and walls will offer the best protection for your patio furniture. Plus, youll be able to fit more in this space than just your patio furniture, so other valuable items can be stored here, as well.
Why Is It Important To Store Patio Furniture During Winter
Patio furniture is a great commodity to have during sunny days and warm nights. However, when it comes to winter this is a different story. A good deal of furniture can suffer damage if left outside during those days. Rain and cold weather can decrease the quality of the materials the furniture is made of. Because of that, in this article, we will help you find the perfect solution for:
- Wooden furniture
- Metal furniture
- Cushions and other fabrics that go with it
Having proper protection for your patio furniture is important. It will prolong the longevity of items and make sure you can use it next year. This can both save you a good chunk of money and allow you to avoid the stress that might occur if the items are damaged.
Don’t Miss: How To Keep Chipmunks Off Patio Furniture
What Patio Furniture Can Be Left Outside During Winter
There are just a few types of patio furniture that can be left outside in the winter, while some cant. Also, you have to consider where you live since it will help you tell how much snow youll be expecting for the season. It is also possible that your area will experience hail that can be even more damaging to furniture.
Heres a list of patio furniture types that can be left outside the winter:
Winterizing Wicker And Rattan Outdoor Furniture
A mixture of bleach and water can be used to remove any dirt, dust and mildew from wicker patio furniture. Use spray paint to touch up any problem areas after youve cleaned and dried your pieces. Natural rattan should be cleaned with minimal use of water to protect it from damage. Store these pieces in a dry place and keep them up on blocks to protect the feet from moisture damage.
Don’t Miss: How To Install Ceiling Fan On Insulated Aluminum Patio
How To Store Patio Furniture For The Winter
A set of patio furniture can help you enjoy the outdoor space around your home during the spring and summer months. But warm weather will eventually come to an end as the colder months creep in. Depending on where you live, keeping your patio furniture out in harsh winter conditions could damage it beyond repair. To ensure your outdoor furniture is in great shape for next spring, use this guide on how to store patio furniture for the winter.
American Steel Carports, Inc. has a variety of steel structures that are affordable, durable, and fully customizable! Use our Build & Price Tool to explore the many possibilities for your new building, and receive an instant quote!
Clear Away All That Outdoor Grime
Since patio furniture mostly lives outside, chances are it has microorganisms living just about everywhere. Make sure to scrub down every surface before storage.
Before you start cleaning, check the manufacturers care instructions. Theoretically, outdoor furniture should be pretty robust as it needs to stand up to the elements, but you also dont want to accidentally damage something during an effort to prevent it from being damaged.
Read Also: How To Stop A Patio Umbrella From Spinning
You May Like: How To Identify Vintage Wrought Iron Patio Furniture
Indoors Garage Or Shed
If you have the space to store your patio furniture in a garage or shed, you should still consider using a lightweight cover to keep it protected from water leaks and dust. You should always try to bring in plastic furniture if you live in an area that frequently faces freezing weather. Plastic will get brittle during long exposure to cold temperatures.
While it may take an afternoon or two to winterize patio furniture, its well worth it. Keeping it clean and protected with a durable cover while not in use will prolong the life of your furniture so you can rest easy during the winter months knowing your outdoor investments are safe and sound.
Want updates on new blog posts, current sales, new product releases, and more? Stay in touch! Like our , follow us on and , and join Cover Club!
Can I Leave My Patio Furniture Outside
First the good news: The overwhelming majority of patio furniture types can indeed be left outside in most parts of the country. But to be certain, youll need to know exactly what type of furniture youre working with, says Megan Pierce-Dozier, with outdoor furniture leader Kingsley Bate.
It depends on the material, according to Pierce-Dozier, one of the experts who agrees both the body material and frame can make or break your outdoor furniture during the winter.
While the materials that cover a chaise chair may be waterproof, for example, the frame may not. One tricky example is wicker furniture. The majority of wicker outdoor furniture is manufactured using a type of resin or vinyl that is as attractive as natural wicker with much greater durability.;
However, not all resin wickers are created equal. The majority of wicker outdoor furniture is constructed from two kinds of synthetic plastics: polyethylene and PVC. Polyethylene resin wicker is resistant to the effects of UV rays, water and snow, making it a great example of patio furniture that can be left outside during the winter.
For added durability, look for polyethylene resin wicker that has been dyed all the way through rather than painted. Dyed resin wicker is much more durable and will retain its color in harsh climates.
But thats not all there is to wicker you also need to know about your frame.
Recommended Reading: How To Remove Mildew From Patio Furniture Cushions
How To Winterize Outdoor Furniture & Protect It From Snow
As the temperatures begin to drop and the trees start shedding their leaves, its time to start preparing for winter. Regardless of the materials;your outdoor furniture was crafted from, whether it be wood, wicker, metal, or plastic, its important that you store your patio set in a dry place where the snow cant get to it. Leaving your furniture out in the snow all winter is a surefire way to ruin it. Before retiring your patio set for the winter, use these tips to make sure you store it effectively.
- Check the storage area for potential leaks and flaws in the structure that might allow rodents or water to get inside.
- Wrap any glass pieces in blankets and/or towels to keep them from getting too cold and shattering when you bring them back out the following season.
- Apply a water-repellent finish to reinforce furniture and protect it from any moisture that might find its way into the storage space.
- Eradicate any signs of rust on your metal furniture or its components before putting it away for the next few months.
- Fix any cracks you find in plastic furniture however minor or the cracks will likely spread until theyre too large to repair.
- Use high-quality outdoor furniture winter covers for extra protection.
Consider Climate Controlled Storage
Climate-controlled storage units are the best option to store your furniture for winter. If you dont have space in your garage or shed, you need to find a storage unit for short-term storage. If you get a climate-controlled storage unit, youll not have to worry about humidity changes or the freezing temperatures that can be detrimental to your furniture.
Store your outdoor furniture in a climate-controlled storage unit to prevent damage caused by moisture or cold temperature.
Also Check: How To Stop A Patio Umbrella From Spinning
Does Lowes Have Glass Cutting
The answer is that yes, Lowes does cut glass for a variety of their customers needs. It does not matter whether an individual needs a glass sheet, glass for a window, or a small piece of glass such as a replacement glass tile. Customers sometimes need a larger piece of glass for a building or remodeling project.
Work With American Steel Carports Inc
We hope this guide on how to store patio furniture for the winter keeps your belongings in top condition. It would be a shame to have to replace your patio furniture because you left it out in the elements all winter long. With a little help from American Steel Carports, Inc., you can avoid that outcome without breaking the bank. Order one of our sturdy metal structures and have a dry place to keep your patio furniture, along with many other items, throughout the winter. Get started with the Build & Price tool today!
Don’t Miss: How To Install A Pergola On A Paver Patio
Store Furniture Under A Deck
Another option is to store plastic furniture, including chairs and tables, under a deck where it has a cover from severe weather. When it comes to fabrics and wood frames, you want to keep the furniture far away from winter weather.
A last resort is to rent storage space for a few months where you can store your sofas, chairs and loungers, so it will be in great shape when you are ready to use it in spring and summer.
Protect Patio Furniture Throughout Winter
During the warmer months, your;outdoor patio furniture;likely gets a lot of use. In colder months, you probably spend less time outside and thus less time utilizing your outdoor furniture. If you live in an area that has a cold or wet climate in the winter, you will need to take steps to make sure that your patio furniture is properly protected from the elements.
Ensuring that your furniture set is clean before it is stored can help prevent staining and corrosion while making it possible to pull out your furniture to enjoy those first warm days once spring arrives.
Cleaning Wicker Sets:;Wicker sets can be made of true rattan or synthetic rattan. Often, the wicker is sealed with some sort of finish to protect the material.;Using a mild soap with warm water and gentle scrub brush or sponge, clean the surface of your furniture. Allow the furniture to air dry completely, or use a towel to dry. Address any areas that need repair or repainting while the set is clean and dry.
Cleaning Metal Sets:;Most metal sets are sealed with a powder coat finish to ensure a longer life. Using a mild soap with warm water and gentle scrub brush or sponge, clean the surface of your furniture. Allow the furniture to air dry completely, or use a towel to dry. Address any areas that need repair or repainting while the set is clean and dry.
Covering/Wrapping Your Patio Furniture
Successful Storage Through the Winter
Read Also: How To Restore Cast Aluminum Patio Furniture
Patio Cushion Storage Ideas:
- Airtight containers.;You can keep patio cushions in airtight containers if you dont plan on storing the cushions for an extended period. Ideally, the fabric should breathe, but the airtight containers will be sure no moths or pests get to the material. Just be sure the cushions have no moisture before putting them in the bin. Put in some moisture-absorbing packets inside the containers.
- Fabric storage bags.;If you live in an area with high humidity, storing cushions in an airtight container is a mistake. The outside humidity can transfer to the inside of the container, and that moisture could get trapped and cause issues. In this case, opt for breathable fabric bags so that the air can move through the cushions and not get stuck. Try to control the humidity inside the room by using a dehumidifier.
- Tarps or blankets. Use a tarp, sheets, or a drop cloth to wrap the cushions together when youre storing them in a garage or other area that could have rodent visitors. The extra fabric will act as an additional barrier of protection and will work if you dont want to purchase storage bags. Use sheets over a plastic tarp if the humidity is very high. The sheets will allow the air to circulate better than if you use a tarp.