Sample Aluminum Deck Railing Project Costs
Aluminum railing is available in basic, better and best ranges with prices to match. But what happens to total project costs when you add in the complexity of the deck, the major factor in installation labor cost?
Lets consider 3 decks, each 500 square feet:
Rectangular, Single-level Deck, 65 Linear feet of Railing:
- Basic quality railing: $3,120
Aria Rail Clip Jig / Paint Kit
Rail Clip Jig/Paint Kit Black P/N: AJ19700BRail Clip Jig/Paint Kit White P/N: AJ19700WRail Clip Jig/Paint Kit Bronze P/N: AJ19700Z
ARIA Stair Panel Attachment Kit P/N: AC15135ARIA Deck Panel Attachment Kit P/N: AC16400ARIA 22 1/2 Degree Panel Attach Kit P/N: AC16422ARIA 45 Degree Mount Kit P/N: AC16445
ARIA Straight Wall Mount Attach Kit Black P/N: AM19100BARIA Straight Wall Mount Attach Kit White P/N: AM19100WARIA Straight Wall Mount Attach Kit Bronze P/N: AM19100X
Overview Of Aluminum Deck Rails
Aluminum railings are the most common choice for aluminum decks, of course. But they give wood and composite decks an upgraded appearance too. Thats why composite decking manufacturers like TimberTech and Trex offer them as an alternative to their composite railing.
Cost is a little higher for aluminum, but strength and durability are improved. Plus, the balusters are narrower, which offers a less-obstructed view.
This aluminum deck railing cost guide starts with cost factors that determine where in the price range your railing will fall. Retail prices are given for those considering buying and installing their own aluminum railings.
We compare costs among other reliable estimating sites too, and homeowner-submitted prices are listed below. Consider bookmarking Costimates and returning to share your deck railing cost for the benefit of other readers.
Recommended Reading: How To Refinish Metal Patio Furniture
Related Costs And Installation Time
Do you want to know what you can save with DIY deck railing installation?
- $12 $20 per linear foot | Labor Cost to install aluminum deck railing.
An installer with experience can complete 10 to 20+ linear feet per hour based on complexity of the job. Here are typical time frames for the types of jobs listed in the Sample Projects above.
- 4-8 Hours | 80 Linear Feet of Easy rectangular deck rail installation
- 6-10 Hours | 80 Linear Feet of Moderate/Average non-rectangular deck rail installation
- 8-15 Hours | 80 Linear Feet of difficult deck rail installation
Cost Of Disposal For Damaged Decking
You have two options here. The first is to let the decking company come out and remove the damaged material before replacing it with new aluminum decking and rails. The second is to rent a dumpster or roll-off container and do it yourself.
Paying the deck contractor to do it will cost $5.00 $7.50 per square foot for removing/disposing of the damaged decking.
Dumpster rental starts at about $200, but $250 $400 is more typical for small containers. This Dumpster Rental Costimate gives more detail.
Read Also: How To Cover Patio Doors For Privacy
Cost Of Repair Supplies
Whether you are installing a new deck or repairing a damaged deck, the retail cost of aluminum deck railing components will help you plan your project price.
Home Advisor pegs aluminum railing retail costs at $40-$70 per linear foot. High-end aluminum railing panels cost more than $85 per linear foot at The Deck Store, so our retail cost range is broader at $36-$90 per linear foot.
- $28 $80 per post | Post Kits including post, cap and connecting and mounting hardware. An average deck rail post cost is about $35 $60.
- $10 $25 | Decorative Post Caps and Base Trim
- $35 $80 | Solar Light Caps, Sconces and other light types.
- $22 $85 per Linear Foot | Aluminum Deck Railing Panels with an average of about $40 $50 per linear foot.
- $160 $400+ | Aluminum Deck Rail Gates. Cost varies by all the factors listed above length, quality, etc.
- $90 $120 per Linear Foot |Aluminum Panel Frames with Cable.
- $10 $60 each | Brackets needed for attaching panels to posts. Each panel requires 4 brackets. The more decorative and stronger, the higher the cost. Powder-coated brackets also cost more than bare aluminum brackets.
- $12 $30 | Touch-up paint, spray or in pens.
Some of the top brands are:
- Designers Image : $-$$
- Peak Aluminum Railing : $$-$$$
- Fortress: $-$$$
Average Cost Of Aluminum Deck Railings
The average cost to have aluminum deck railing installed by a contractor is $76.00 per linear foot. If you buy the parts and DIY, cost averages $54.00 per linear foot.
The aluminum deck railing price will generally include cost of the rails, installation and all labor, as well as permits or inspections where required. If you have existing railings on your deck, consider removing yourself to save money, or expect an added expense for the labor to remove, as well as disposal costs.
$40 $70 / Linear Foot
Recommended Reading: How To Smooth Rough Concrete Patio