Get Ready For Fun Alfresco Evenings With This Warming Garden Accessory
With British gardens changing along with our changing climate, homeowners and gardeners are looking toward garden accessories that can be used all year round. Fire pits, outdoor fireplaces and chimineas act as a decorative focal points while providing warmth and alfresco fun. We’ve rounded up the best fire pits and chimineas for all seasons.
If you want to spend more time outside in the evenings, then you should consider getting an outdoor firepit. Whether you want to add a feature fireplace to your garden or a rustic fire pit, this accessory will bring warmth and character to your home.
Function Whats The Main Purpose Of The Fire
Before choosing a fireplace or fire pit, its a good idea to think about how you plan to use it. Some models are multifunctional, while others are very specific in their application.
- Heating Fires provide warmth so you can spend time outside in the evenings or winter months. However, wood-burning varieties tend to generate more heat than other fuels. Also, the size of your space determines the scale of the fire you may need. Must work with an existing lounge set? If your seating is offset, a one-sided fire is a good choice for directional heat. Conversely, an open-air style works well when surrounded by seating.
- Cooking If youre simply roasting marshmallows or hotdogs, you can probably get by with any fire. Just impale the food on a skewer, hold it over the flame and youre good to go. But, if you want to grill burgers or shish kebabs, youll want a fireplace grate or the ability to add cooking accessories. Some fire pits can double as basic outdoor barbecues, while more elaborate fireplaces enable you to bake pizza or even smoke ribs.
- If you already have functional fires, perhaps youre interested in enhancing the ambiance of your outdoor setting. There are many styles of firepits, so you need to pick the aesthetic you want. Will it accent an architectural feature or landscape element, or will it be the focal point itself? Does it need to have appeal when its unlit? A bright flame adds life, but there is plenty of downtime when a fire pit is idle.
Which Material Is Best
- Carbon steel – This kind of steel is lightweight and cheap, but likely to rust.
- Cast iron – Cast iron is cheap and durable but fairly heavy, so difficult to move around a garden.
- Clay – clay chimineas and fire pits are cheap and colourful, but clay is prone to cracking.
- Corten steel – this kind of steel is durable and weather resistant, but is always rust-coloured, so may not suit all gardens.
- Copper – a great heat conductor and lightweight, copper will need maintenance and turns blue over time.
- Stone – stone fire pits are completely fireproof and weather resistant, but theyre expensive and very heavy.
- Stainless steel – this is durable and rustproof, but tends to be expensive.
You May Like: How Much Is A New Patio
Safety An Open Flame Is A Lot Of Responsibility
Before lighting an outdoor fireplace or fire pit, its important to think about safety precautions and review all guidelines in the owners manual. Brush fires can be extremely dangerous and cause loss of life and property, so take the time to familiarize yourself with the risks in the physical area and proper operation of your equipment.
The Best Outdoor Fireplaces
If you are looking for a fire pit with an upgrade then an outdoor place with a chimney will give you warmth, comfort and limited smoke in your eyes.
If you seek a fireplace with a classic rustic look, then this patio heater from Relaxdays brings warmth and style. The conductive steel that radiates heat – just add the wood to the grid, and you will have a flickering fire in no time. In addition, the chimney feature makes sure the smoke does not drift in the wind and become a nuisance.
Dimensions: 120 x 45 cm
Weight: 7.9 kg
Pros: Easy Assembly, Can Take Lots of Wood
Cons: Best of Occasional Use
Review: “This burner arrived fairly promptly and was easy to assemble. It looks exactly as it does in the pictures and gives out a glorious, roaring heat. Its quite sturdy and well made, the metal is thick so wont dent and buckle. You can pile as much wood as you can into this burner and even put longer pieces of wood in as they can stand lengthways. We love using our chiminea, makes sitting outside very cosy, especially in the evening with a nice drink and toasting some marshmallows on a stick!”
Feel like you are in a Scandinavian paradise with this triangular-shaped fireplace with a chimney. The tall chimney has two compartments the wood burner and space for storing logs. This fireplace is crafted from iron and fuses rustic style with practicality. Now your alfresco nights can last longer with extra warmth and comfort.
Read Also: How To Weigh Down Patio Furniture
Other Fireplace Tools & Accessories Managing The Flame & Protecting Yourself
A few simple items can greatly improve the efficiency and safety of your fire.
- Grates These metal trays sit beneath kindling and logs to improve the airflow needed to start and maintain a roaring fire. Built-in fireplaces may have substantial legged versions, while firepits or chimineas may simply have a thin slatted tray that sits on a ledge.
- Pokers These long metal rods are used to stoke the fire by moving wood and coals around. They often have a barbed side for hooking logs and rolling them over. You can usually purchase a fireplace tool set that includes a poker, scissored tongs for grasping logs, long-handled brush and a dustpan for ashes. It helps to have a rack for the set that either mounts to the fireplace or sits on the ground.
- Wind Screens & Spark Screens These toughened glass or metal barriers prevent embers and sparks from flying out and stray items from falling into the flames. Transparent tempered glass windscreens are ideal for fire pit tables and fireplace inserts where the ambiance of the flame is as important as the warmth it gives off.
How Do We Use Your Personal Information
We may use your personal information to improve our products and your experience on our sites.
We may use your personal information to:
- evaluate the use of our sites, products and services
- analyse the effectiveness of our advertisements, competitions and promotions
- personalise your website experience, as well as to evaluate statistics on website activity, such as what time you visited it, whether youve visited it before and what site referred you to it
- make our sites easier to use and to better tailor the sites and our products to your interests and needs
- help speed up your future activities and experience on our sites. For example, a site can recognise that you have provided your personal information and will not request the same information a second time
- collect information about the device you are using to view our site, such as your IP address or the type of Internet browser or operating system you are using, and link this to your personal information so as to ensure that each site presents the best web experience for you
- to contact you regarding products and services which may be of interest to you, provided you have given us consent to do so or you have previously requested a product or service from us and the communication is relevant or related to that prior request and made within any timeframes established by applicable laws.
We may use your personal information to:
As a general rule, we do not share your personal information with anyone.
You May Like: How To Build A Screened In Patio
Wood Burning Fire Pit
The most common fire pits are ones that are wood-burning. If you are looking to get a real outdoor experience, then a wood-burner is the closest you will get to camping without a tent. Wood burning fire pits are typically made from steel and are the most affordable option for fuel. Charcoal is usually compatible with many wood fire pits, so you can also consider using it as a BBQ.
Best For Small Spaces: Living Accents Old World Wood Steel
This outdoor fireplace looks like an oversized lantern, but it’s compact size makes it perfect for smaller patios or backyards. That said, as with any unit, youll want to check with your local town or municipalitys government regarding any restrictions about outdoor fireplaces or wood burning.
Similar to a fire pit, the fire from this steel fireplace can be seen and experienced from a 360 degree range, though the spark-guard mesh offers a layer of protection that a fire pit doesnt. Each fireplace has a side-open door so you can easily slip a log in and a fire grate and poker are included with your fireplace.
Also Check: How To Replace Fabric On A Patio Sling Chair
Glass Thermal Strength & Heat Absorption
Outdoor fireplaces and fire pits may have transparent bodies, windscreens or doors made from strengthened glass.
- Tempered Glass This safety glass is thermally and chemically treated to be 4-5 times stronger than standard annealed glass. When broken, it fractures into small harmless pieces, rather than shattering into dangerous shards. Its frequently used in cookware, sliding doors and the screens of computers and mobile phones. Tempered glass fireplaces are heat-resistant, so the surface gets warm, but its cooler than other materials. It works well for lower temperature fires where the flame is not too close to the glass.
- Ceramic Glass This substance is not actually glass, but a transparent polycrystalline ceramic material. Its about three times stronger than toughened glass but less heat-resistant, so ceramic glass fireplaces or oven door windows are dangerously hot and can easily burn your hands. Ceramic glass is best for situations when the flame is close to the surface or theres extreme heat . Its also much more expensive than tempered glass.
Best Propane: Cal Flame 48 In Propane Gas Outdoor Fireplace
Courtesy of Home Depot
Why bother with the hassle of building a wood fire when you can start this propane-gas powered fire with a push of a button? This fireplace offers an impressive 55,000-BTU burner that will keep you warm and toasty on even the chilliest of evenings and comes with a fire log set and lava rocks. The stucco finish is attractive and inviting and covers the back of the unit, too, so its as good looking from the back as it is the front. Like all outdoor fireplaces, youll need to install it on a level surface.
Note that at 550 pounds, this unit is very heavy and you may need help building it and setting it on just the right spot on your patio. You’ll need to buy your propane separately, or use the included converter to convert this fireplace to natural gas, also sold separately.
Don’t Miss: How To Take Care Of A Patio Lavender Tree
Inspection & Cleaning / Sweeping
Some outdoor fire features need more frequent inspection and cleaning than others. For gas units, debris and spiderwebs can clog the burners and cause malfunctions.
A technician will also inspect that the fan and ventilation system are working properly, and clean the fire stones or gas logs. Outdoor fireplace chimneys are notorious for being clogged by several things, from dirt, water and leaves to wasp nests, causing fire hazards and malfunctions if not thoroughly swept.
An Outdoor Clay Chiminea Brings Inviting Warmth And Southwestern Flair To Your Patio
Outdoor Fire Pit With Chimney Ideas. Jan 4 2020 Explore Reg Bennetts board Fire pit chimney on Pinterest. Featuring star accents for added style this durable piece comes with enhanced safety options including heat resistant handles for easy portability a mesh spark screen 16 log poker and a PVC storage cover for protection when. Taking on a more scenic view you would definitely be left alone in this setup free to take in the sights and sounds of nature.
For Fire Pits You can find many ideas on the topic with chimney pit fire outdoor and many more on the internet but in the post of Outdoor Fire Pit With Chimney we have tried to select the best visual idea about Fire Pits You also can look for more ideas on Fire Pits category apart from the topic Outdoor Fire Pit With Chimney. Summer season is near and an a fire pits is something that most people can use a great outdoor fire pits can be utilized on cold nights and make your own personal backyard a little more unique for your guest visitors and for oneself. Here are some outdoor fire pit ideas to make decorating easier for your space.
Build on edge of patio. See more ideas about fire pit hood fire pit fire pit chimney. Custom built-in designs can be on the pricier side but for smaller budgets there are plenty of super affordable options for fire pits and chimineas a great pick for small spaces that are just a click away on.
Inspiration Fire Pit Backyard Backyard Fire Sunken Fire Pits
Pin On Shed
Pin On My Fireplace
You May Like: Sam’s Club Pergola Installation
Combining Heating And Eating
Providing a high standard of both heating and eating functionality within a single device has typically been out of reach for those unwilling to shop at the luxury end of the market.
AGA, for example, have seen their high-end stoves adopted as both oven and heat sources thanks to the quality of their design, materials and manufacture. The very same qualifications are required for a barbecue heater. Without exceptional standards, the two functions cannot coexist.
The second half of the equation is making sure the features designed to accommodate either function dont get in each others way. Thats why any good barbecue heater will come with a removable grill, temperature control, and closable, weatherproof lid so it can instantly shift from channelling heat upwards to radiating it in all directions, as the situation demands. Both functions are supported equally aptly by the same air control lever and stove.
Chiminea Vs Fire Pit: Which One Is Safer
Before we delve deeper into the which is safer debate, a word of warning.
Check with your local bylaws before you buy either a fire pit or a chiminea.
A quick search for the laws in New York City says that all outdoor patio fireplaces, hearths, fire pits, chimineas are illegal there.
Chimineas, which only burn dry, would are also illegal in my city. Wood or coal burning fire pits are too, but natural gas or propane fire pits are allowed, assuming they are CSA/ULC approved.
Where I live, having a wood-burning fire is against the Fire Code and has a maximum fine of $50,000, 1 year in jail, or both.
If theyre legal where you liveor if you have neighbors who would never think of ratting on youheres what you need to know about safety.
Assuming you arent thinking about buying one of the above-mentioned natural gas or propane fire pits that have that nice CSA/ULC label on them, chimineas are typically safer than fire pits.
Thanks to the stack or chimney on the top of a chiminea, flames are directed up and out. This leads to a much more controlled burn over what a fire pit can offer.
Ultimately, this means you, your family, and friends dont need to worry about random sparks or flames shooting out at them and possibly getting out of control, or having a fire extinguisher handy.
Having said all that, the body of a chimenea will get very hot. You need to be sure no one gets too close to it.
You May Like: How Do I Get Rid Of Flies In My Patio
The Best Chimineas For Your Garden
Nowadays, theres a vast choice of stunning, stylish chimineas to choose from, every one of which has what it takes to grace your garden and delight your senses. Theres something about the round fire bowl and narrow chimney that balances beautifully, whatever the design, whatever its made of, from clay to cast iron or steel.
This fantastic chimenea from Argos is perfect for your garden or patio. Made from durable steel and finished in an attractive, bronze effect, this chiminea boasts style and practicality. We love it. Not only does it have a full mesh body that lets you and your guests enjoy a 360-degree view of the fire, but it can emit heat from all angles ensuring you are kept warm and cosy long into the night.
Dimensions: H90 x D37 cm
Weight: Not Specified.
Pros: Stylish, Practical
Cons: Fiddly to Assemble
Review: “Really like the look of this but it is a bit fiddly to assemble, took about 40 minutes, and all in all, had to move some of the mesh into shape which didn’t feel great. But now it’s up and working I’m very happy with it.”
This black, small and functional chiminea is easy to assemble and looks great on a patio deck. It is robust with cast iron legs and burns wood, which will provide a good level of warmth. If you are looking for a budget chiminea that is easily transportable, then this stylish wood burner will do the trick nicely.
Dimensions: 72cm x 36cm
Pros: Stylish, Functional
Cons: Difficult to Lift
Cons: Fiddly Assembly
Modern Indoor & Outdoor Fireplaces
Contemporary home design seamlessly transitions from interior to exterior living areas, to accommodate the growing movement toward in-outdoor lifestyles. EcoSmart Fire offers a range of versatile fireplace solutions to give you the functional benefits of a warm fire wherever you need it, without sacrificing aesthetics. Whether youre integrating a fireplace into your existing architecture, retrofitting bespoke settings or outfitting your deck, EcoSmart Fire has a stylish option.
Their fireplaces burn for 8-10 hours on a single fill of e-NRG bioethanol and are UL listed for safety. On top of that, 95% of EcoSmart Fire products ship within 5 business days.
You May Like: How To Keep Pets Off Patio Furniture